What’s a VPN?
A virtual private network, VPN is a network that utilizes a secure connection over the public internet through tunneling and other encryption mechanisms put in place by the provider. Initially, VPNs were used and are used to enable workers to remotely access work resources remotely and securely over the internet. Nowadays, those VPNs are known as corporate VPNs. Generally, most VPNs today’s are commercial VPNs and are the ones we are talking about.
How does a VPN work?
One of the primary purposes of a VPN is security. When you use a VPN, all your internet/data traffic (incoming and outgoing) passes through a selected server. Through tunneling and other encryptions, no one will be able to see what you’re doing online, not even your ISP.
Why do you need one?
There are many reasons why should use a VPN in this internet and digital era. The first thing is of course privacy and security. i.e. when you don’t want prying eyes on your info, to avoid internet vulnerabilities and even to avoid the government’s eye. Like we said earlier. You can use a VPN to access your resources over the internet safely.
A VPN will help you to access restricted content, bypass blocks and other things such as avoiding ISPs throttling your data and some VPNs might remove your data caps. Especially if you use P2P clients which mostly deal with torrents. Most people use VPNs to Geo-spoof websites and services such as streaming sites which discriminate content by location.
What to consider
Previously, we outlined in details what you should look for in VPN before settling in one. Here is a recap;
- Cost – Price is the deciding factor you should consider before deciding on any VPN. How much are you willing to pay for your privacy? Luckily, most VPNs are classified into, low budget, mid-range, expensive and free. It all depends on what you want or how much you value your privacy among other things.
- Security – The core framework of a VPN is security. This involves the encryption mechanisms used.
- Latency, speed and load time – Always ensure your VPN will have a server which is near you. The further the servers the longer it will take to load websites. Other VPNs use world class servers which provide lightning speeds; they should be your pick. You should also consider other variables such as bandwidth provided.
- Number of servers – If you are interested in accessing geo-restricted content, look for a VPN with worldwide servers. This will increase your choice of watching almost anything and unlocking any content which isn’t available in your locale.
- Cross-platform support – Since you have more than one device, i.e. a Mac, an Android phone, and maybe a console, it a good idea that the VPN you choose supports all those devices. You should also check the number of simultaneous connection a single VPN subscription gives you. Up to six devices is better; you should not settle for anything less than three.
- Customer support – If you’re not a geek by some degrees, choose a VPN that provided a 24/7 customer support. Customer support comes in handy, especially with troubleshooting issues. Reviews and ratings will help you discern the better VPN with a 5-star customer support.
- Free trials and money back policy – always seek VPNs which offer the two, free trials and refunds are like a disaster recovery plan. If by any chance you made a mistake, you will realize it in the free trial period without committing yourself further.
- Additional features – the best VPN will always have extra features that enhance security. These features include; a Killswitch, Double VPN, DNS leak protection, stealth servers etc.
To save you the hassle of looking for the right VPN, below is a category of fast VPNs that will work for you. You can check the VPN guide for other categories which might match your preference. The classification was done by considering factors such as; support, features, price, reliability, speed and platforms.
Best fastest VPNs
A fast VPN is best for tasks like streaming, gaming and even downloading stuff. Usually, these VPNs feature high-speed servers with lower load times. Below are our best picks.
Tunnelbear is a VPN app that enjoys immense popularity since it provides millions of users the luxury of private Internet browsing, safe connection to public Wi-Fi, and the ability to unblock restricted websites.
- Safe Wi-Fi Protection
- Loads Websites 3 To 5 Times Faster
- No Logging
- Worldwide Network
- Specialized VPN Business Service
- Limited Number of Servers
With Hotspotshield VPN all Internet users have the opportunity to get behind a protective shield that offers high security, guaranteed privacy and unrestricted access as well as the freedom to search world information.
- Secure Protection Public Wi-Fi
- Blocked Content Access
- Anonymous Browsing
- Cloud-Based Protection
- Dedicated Customer Support
- No Free VPN Option
NordVPN allows you the protection and ability to protect against attacks that are network based. This is especially valuable should you be travelling and not aware of the strength of the networks you may be accessing.
- Excellent available variety of servers
- Servers are fast and secure
- Offers six connections simultaneously
- Servers are geographically diverse
- Three pricing levels
- Offers 30-day money back guarantee
- Does not block trackers or adds
Perfect Privacy VPN
Perfect Privacy is a VPN used by thousands to protect their privacy, and currently, servers are located in over twenty-three different countries across the globe.
- 4096 Bit Public Key Encryption
- Firewall and DNS Leak Protection
- No Login Details Stored
- Bandwidth Up to 1000 Mbps
- Highly Priced
The main benefits of using ivacy VPN is safe from identity thieves, third party intruders, and hackers while it allows users to unblock websites, secure Wi-Fi connections and remain anonymous at all times.
- Ultimate Bandwidth Speed
- 256-Bit Encryption
- Easy Set Up
- Money-Back Guarantee
- Easy Set-Up
- Mobile Services Not as Good