Before I buy my first iPhone and enter Apple life, I always wondered to know a quick way to know what model an iPhone is without even asking my friend..You may think this is a ridiculous post, but sometimes we fall in such problems, for example iPhone 3G and 3GS look similar to each others and at first I couldn't differentiate between them..But now I can because of these simple tricks...
Find The iPhone Model Number On The Case
This is one of the most easiest ways to know which model is an iPhone, all what you have to do is:
- Flip over the iPhone and look at the small text which locate under the "iPhone" badge.
- Make note of where it says: "Model AXXXXX" and compare that to the list below..
iPhone Model Number List
- A1428 – iPhone 5 GSM (standard GSM model in USA for AT&T, T-Mobile, etc)
- A1429 – iPhone 5 GSM & CDMA (normal CDMA model in USA, Verizon, Sprint, etc)
- A1442 – iPhone 5 CDMA China
- A1387 – iPhone 4S, CDMA & GSM
- A1431 – iPhone 4S GSM China
- A1349 – iPhone 4 CDMA
- A1332 – iPhone 4 GSM
- A1325 – iPhone 3GS China
- A1303 – iPhone 3GS (GSM only)
- A1324 – iPhone 3G China
- A1241 – iPhone 3G (GSM only)
- A1203 – iPhone (Original model, GSM only)
- You can then use the model identification to discover which iPhone version the device is, and thus which firmware files to use:
- iPhone 3G – iPhone1,2
- iPhone 3GS – iPhone2,1
- iPhone 4 (GSM)- iPhone3,1
- iPhone 4 (CDMA) - iPhone3,3
- iPhone 4S – iPhone4,1
- iPhone 5 (GSM/) – iPhone5,1
- iPhone 5 (CDMA) -iPhone5,2
How To Know Which Model An iPhone Is using iTunes:
|Image via OSXDaily|
- Connect iPhone via usb to the computer.
- Select the iPhone from the left bar at iTunes.
- Now you will see a summary about your iPhone, what is the firmware the device is running on and more...