After an preliminary rollout within the US, Google has lastly introduced its Glass Explorer Programme to the UK. From at present, customers in Britain hungry to check out Google Glass can enroll with the search big and safe themselves a pair.
It doesn’t come low cost although – signing as much as turn into an Explorer prices £one thousand. However that does get you a Google Glass headset. The initiative has been on-going for a yr or so now within the US, and is actually a approach for Google to get suggestions on its product forward of a wider shopper launch.
“Know-how is at its greatest when it matches seamlessly into our lives and lets us get on with no matter we’re doing. Our aim for Glass is strictly that - to make it simpler to deliver individuals the know-how they depend on with out drawing them out of the second,” stated Ivy Ross, Head of Glass.
Don’t know what Glass is? Take a look at our Wikipedia-fashion article on Google Glass. Inside you’ll discover actually every little thing you might want to know concerning the headset together with specs, hardware, the way it’s getting used and what you, pricey consumer, can do with it as soon as it's strapped to your noggin.
Right here’s a fast rundown of a number of the principal methods individuals are utilizing it, in line with Google:
- Search - Whether or not it’s translating a phrase into one other language, or getting the answer to a troublesome math drawback, Glass will get you the solutions you need to the questions you ask it virtually immediately (watch this video of some enjoyable examples of Search on Glass).
- Navigation - Glass provides you with flip-by-flip instructions that will help you discover the quickest path to your vacation spot.
- Gmail and Calendar - Gmail and Calendar are each obtainable on Glass making checking e mail, or seeing when your subsequent appointment is fast and straightforward.
- Now playing cards - From the newest visitors replace to work, to that delay in your flight, Google Now's about supplying you with simply the correct info at simply the best time. On Glass it’s quicker and simpler than ever earlier than.
- Telephone Calls & SMS - By connecting by way of bluetooth to your telephone, Glass allows you to simply and shortly name your contacts. It’s additionally nice for speech-to-textual content transcription, making texting as quick as nicely... speaking.
- Photographs, Movies and Video calls - Know-how ought to deliver individuals nearer collectively by connecting us in the actual world, not taking us out of it. Glass does this by letting you seize and share nice moments with out ever having to go away them.
Google announced Glass way back in April 2013, and the launch within the UK is nothing in need of being an enormous deal. To rejoice the large day, Google has put collectively a video, shot completely utilizing Glass, of a bunch of individuals bombing round London. Apparently, the primary two photographs have been taken proper outdoors our workplaces!
“The Glass UK Explorer version prices £one thousand and is accessible to British residents over the age of 18 with a legitimate bank card,” stated Google in a word to the press. “Glass continues to be a prototype and can proceed to be developed earlier than it's made out there to extra shoppers.”
So far we’ve seen the Glass headset used to coach pilots, airport employees in first-class lounges, policemen and emergency providers employees, in addition to docs and nurses. And that’s simply within the US, with the UK programme now underway in earnest, you possibly can anticipate to start out seeing Glass customers popping up all over.
To coincide with the launch, Google additionally confirmed a number of new, UK-dealing with Glasswear companions – The Guardian, Star Chart, Zombies Run, and Aim.com.