Back at the beginning of July, it leaked on the Internet that Google is working on a major re-design for the YouTube app for Android that will also allow users to put the currently playing video in a window mode, and browse the app. Well, today, the update has finally gone live and it packs in truck loads of features along with a new card based UI.
The (unofficial) full list of changes are below -:
- New cards based UI with an updated slide-out sidebar design and layout.
- In-app multitasking allows users to window a video and browse the YouTube app seamlessly. Extremely useful for devices with large screens. The small window can also be dismissed by swipe right or left across the screen.
- A brand new icon
- Fully functional landscape UI mode for tablets
- Gorgeous HD and CC toggles
- Ability to search for playlists
- Some much needed respect for the global auto-rotate settings
Sadly, the update is a staged roll-out from Google so it will take at least a few days for the update to land on your device. If you cannot wait until then, you can manually download and install the APK from here, thanks to the folks over at Android Police!