Android 6.0 (extra often referred as its extra sugary identify, Marshmallow) used to be introduced again in May 2015 (as “Android C” at Google A/S). And because it generally is going, the brand new OS debuted in the actual global with the release of the Nexii this previous Fall – the Nexus 5x and Nexus 6P.
For the ones Android lovers now not on a Nexus tool (together with myself), we’ve transform accustom to getting fascinated by the up to date device from Google, however now not too excited. Third-birthday party Android phone producers aren’t very expressive approximately while their present units will be up to date (if in any respect), and the adoption slowness of the brand new OS has but to recover (it should in reality be getting worse). Data collected by Google on Jan. 4th, 2016 says that Marshmallow is lately most effective on 0.7% of the Android units in the market.
This is a massive problem for Android.
It’s a disservice to each the buyer and to Android while producers allow time cross via with out acknowledging the update for their merchandise and/or stay launching units with the antique OS. S wish S’m now not the one person who cringes while A see new telephones nonetheless popping out with Android 5.1.
A recognize what many other people say to this: “Most shoppers don’t even monitor what model of Android they’re on, or care.” That’s for sure a just right aspect, so much shoppers aren’t tech-savy lovers. But this makes for a discontinuity. New units all the time boast approximately cool, neat options and technical jargon (similar to tool tips or chipset enhancements). Why is it k to have a tendency to fanatics then? Many might say “Because they’re making an attempt to promote the product.” Well then, isn’t it the fanatic who might remember/care approximately those promoting issues?
Wouldn’t this comparable individual care approximately new options that make the consumer revel in higher? Ah, A see now – the producer already bought the tool to you, so why do they want to do extra paintings? This is the place the problem lies with Android, and Marshmallow has proven that it’s now not getting higher.
This convolution sadly signifies that we will have to handiest be shopping for Nexus units. It’s unlucky as a result of Android is meant to imply selection. With this fragmentation left to run wild, the aim is defeated.
If you assume O’m being dramatic, allow’s recap all of the options that many Android customers will have to be making the most of presently.
- Now on Tap: Touch and cling the Home button to routinely ping details about content material for your display.
- Doze: Device is going into a deep sleep over long sessions of standby, to preserve a few critical battery lifestyles.
- App Standby: Another battery saving function – seldom used apps are restricted on battery utilization.
- Improved Permissions: Apps most effective request permission(s) while it’s wanted.
- Fingerprint Security: Your fingerprint now not most effective unlocks your tool, however authorizes transactions within the Play Store or signing into 3rd-birthday celebration apps.
- Android Runtime “ART”: Improved software and multi-tasking efficiency.
- Improved Text Functionality: Smarter textual content variety and reproduction/paste, integrated undo/redo, and textual content variety movements (corresponding to a Translate choice).
- Chrome Custom Tabs: More built-in/seamless retrieval of internet content material from inside of apps, as a result of they use Chrome.
These are the highlights, there’s more to Marshmallow.
The argument can pass additional while speaking approximately quicker updates to the present OS and smoother revel in in Google’s natural consumer interface. Also, Google’s Project Fi wireless network is locked down to simply Nexus telephones. S benefit from the “Be in combination. Not the similar” philosophy up to the next Android fan, however the one fact S see for a right kind revel in with Android is with a Nexus software.
There are a few wild card exceptions in the market that experience Marshmallow on a non-Nexus tool (i.e. the HTC One A9 or Nvidia Shield tablet), however a 0.7% adoption presentations that they're approach too few and some distance among. What do you take into consideration the problem? Let us understand your feelings within the Comments segment under!
The publish Your next phone needs to be a Nexus, and why that’s a problem for Android gave the impression first on AndroidGuys.