A’m an enormous fan of the Apple TV and feature been for years. That’s why A used to be tremendous excited remaining fall while Apple got here out with the all new Apple TV and it’s logo spanking new running device tvOS. tvOS lets in the brand new Apple TV to be what it's: a brand spanking new platform for apps and video games that may be extra iOS-like than the antique Apple TV may just ever wish to be.
But up to O love my Apple TV, even A needed to admit that tvOS 9.0 (the primary model of tvOS) used to be a little underwhelming while the Apple TV first shipped. Matter of reality, tvOS made the Apple TV really feel like a beta product as it lacked a few fundamental options. Updates to tvOS 9.0.1 and tvOS 9.1 didn’t do so much to relieve those problems. But fortunately Apple has fastened all that with best new options—which will have to have, honestly, been there because the new Apple TV first shipped—in tvOS 9.2, which used to be launched this week along side the brand new iPhone SE, 9.7in iPad Pro, and iOS 9.3.
In this information we’ll display you methods to use the recent options of tvOS 9.3 so you'll be able to (after all) get probably the most from your Apple TV.
Apple TV tvOS 9.2: Siri Remote Dictation
Without a doubt, the most productive function of tvOS 9.2 is the power to make use of the Siri Remote for dictation. Previously the Siri Remote may just handiest be used to talk queries or instructions. If you sought after to go into textual content right into a seek box or consumer login and password box you have been caught doing so the use of tvOS’s horizontal keyboard.
But now with tvOS 9.2 you'll be able to use Siri Remote to dictate speech to textual content in nearly any textual content box. Here’s how:
- Open an app that has a textual content box.
- Select the textual content box with the Siri Remote. When you do you’ll realize an onscreen command now seems within the textual content box that reads “Hold [mic icon] to dictate seek” if that textual content box is a seek box or “Hold [mic icon] to spell” if that textual content box is a login or password box.
- Now hang the mic button at the Siri Remote down and talk the textual content you wish to have to seek for OR spell out a username or password person alphanumeric through person alphanumeric.
- When you're performed spelling or dictating do away with your finger from the mic button at the Siri Remote and the textual content your have dictated will seem within the textual content box.
Apple TV tvOS 9.2: Siri App Store Search
Another nice function of tvOS is that the Siri Remote has won a few new voice instructions. Specifically you'll be able to now use Siri to seek for apps within the tvOS App Store. Previously Siri voice searches have been restricted to films and TV presentations. But now way to tvOS 9.2 you'll be able to use Siri to seek out apps. Here’s how:
- Hold down the mic button at the Siri Remote.
- When you spot the voice waveform seem, talk your App Store question. you'll be able to say such things as “Find me information apps” to seek out the up to date tvOS information apps. Or you'll be able to say “display me the most productive loose apps” to peer an inventory of the most well liked loose apps in this day and age. You can “display me the most productive video games” and also you’ll see the highest apps within the Games class.
- Click on any of the effects that seem on the backside of the display to be taken to that app or recreation’s list within the tvOS App Store.
Apple TV tvOS 9.2: Siri Remote Scrubbing Through Video
tvOS 9.2 additionally fastened a big annoyance with prior to now variations of tvOS with regards to scrubbing thru video. Previously while you ran your finger over the Siri Remote trackpad at the same time as a video used to be enjoying, tvOS may routinely start scrubbing thru that video. This used to be an issue as a result of again and again a consumer cling the Siri Remote in his hand to engage with tvOS right through a enjoying video, whilst now not in fact proceeding to wash thru that video—every so often the consumer’s finger simply hit the trackpad by chance.
Apple fixes unintentional scrubs in tvOS through converting what you wish to have to do to wash thru a video. Here’s the way you do it now:
- When a video is enjoying click on the Siri Remote trackpad. The video will pause.
- Now run your finger over the trackpad to wash in the course of the video.
- Click the trackpad once more to leap to the brand new scrub aspect.
tvOS 9.2 won't sign in trackpad swipes at the same time as a video is enjoying until you click on the trackpad first.
Apple TV tvOS 9.2: App folders
Another top new function of tvOS 9.2 is the power to create app folders to prepare your apps at the tvOS house monitor—identical to you'll be able to do in iOS. Creating a folder stuffed with apps in tvOS is modest:
- With any app icon decided on at the house monitor, click on and hang the Siri Remote trackpad till that icon jiggles.
- Once the icon jiggles you'll be able to free up your cling at the trackpad.
- Now swipe your finger over the trackpad to transport the icon as in the event you have been moving it round at the house display. But as an alternative of merely striking the icon in a brand new position, cling it over some other app’s icon for a second and a clear out with each apps will raise on monitor.
- Once the apps are within the folder, click on the Siri Remote trackpad once more to unencumber the app in position.
- By default tvOS will provide the folder a reputation according to the class of the apps you're putting in it, but when you wish to have you'll be able to swipe as much as the identify and input a brand new identify for the folder manually as smartly.