Although we have been a little skeptical in the beginning, after receiving the Nexus 6P remaining week and enjoying round with it non-prevent considering the fact that then we will be able to finish, and not using a shadow of a doubt: the Nexus 6P is the most productive Nexus software — and arguably the most productive Android software — to return alongside in years. If you’re a brand new owner, we more than likely don’t want to inform you that.
One factor we did need to talk about, whether or not you simply won the Nexus 6P or it’s nonetheless coming within the mail, are the primary things every owner should do. Although the next information is extra geared to the brand new or informal Android consumer (please be happy to percentage together with your non-tech savvy pals/circle of relatives), we expect veterans would possibly in finding one thing helpful as smartly. Here are the primary 11 things every Nexus 6P owner should do.
1. Use the incorporated energy adapter on every occasion imaginable
Although the Nexus 6P doesn’t technically fortify Qualcomm’s “Quick Charge 2.0,” the 6P does have its personal rapid charging tech. Google says you'll be able to get 7 hours of utilization out of a 10 minute rate, however there's a seize: you’re going to have to make use of the incorporated wall charger, now not a few rink-a-dink wall charger you discovered on the 99 Cent Store.
Because of the telephone calls for an overly particular form of rate (5V/3A), discovering further third birthday party choices can also be more or less tricky. Should you be on the lookout for a spare, you'll be able to all the time purchase an professional Nexus 6P charger from the Google Store — in single or dual-port types — despite the fact that at $25 and $40, respectively, they’re somewhat expensive.
Of direction, you'll be able to all the time test with no matter what charger you have got laying round and the come with 6-inch Type-H to Type O cable (just right good fortune), simply understand that it most certainly wont rate as temporarily even if the the Nexus 6P lock monitor presentations that it’s “rapid charging.”
2. Sign into your Google account and repair choose apps/video games
Okay, so this one is just about a given. To revel in simply all of the loose and paid apps/video games at the Google Play Store, you’ll want to signal right into a Google account. There are a couple of choices Google will provide you with right through the preliminary setup procedure, considered one of that is referred to as Tap & Go. All it does is reproduction your Google account signal-in information from any other (NFC supplied) Android software by way of urgent the again of them in combination. It’s neat if in case you have your antique software to hand, simply be sure that it has NFC or it wont do anything else. Of direction it's essential to all the time manually sort for your signal-in information…
Once you’re all signed in, Google will permit you to make a choice a prior telephone you’d like to replicate apps from (both they all, or simply particular apps/video games). Depending at the quantity of apps you’re restoring, it would take a just right 10 mins, so now can be a great time to make a sandwich. Keep in thoughts, this wont repair the whole thing, however you should have your whole Google contacts moved over adopted by way of the mass re-downloading of your whole apps from the Google Play Store. We suggest connecting to WiFi for the fastest effects.
3. Secure your telephone with fingerprints, trend, PIN, or password
Our smartphones raise a large number of delicate knowledge inside of, knowledge you most likely don’t need finishing up within the mistaken arms. Should you ever in finding your self leaving your telephone in a cab, eating place or perhaps a pals/circle of relatives position, you’re most likely going to need to lock it down with a safe lock display lest you will have somebody snooping inside of.
The nice phase approximately Android is there are a couple of choices to be had to you — trend, PIN, and password — and regardless of which means you select, it’s all the time higher than not anything. Because the Nexus 6P additionally has a fingerprint sensor that may unencumber the telephone (often referred to as “Nexus Imprint”) likelihood is that you’ll hardly ever have to make use of any of the above strategies (as they’re just for backup), however you'll be pressured to pick out one.
If you actually need additional safety and render your telephone needless within the arms of a thief or new owner, you'll be able to also have your telephone require a PIN ahead of it even boots up. You realize, to be at the additional protected aspect. Then once more, if the telephone doesn’t boot, you wont have the ability to locate it if it gets lost or stolen. Just a idea.
You most certainly already got here around the “Protect your telephone” procedure all the way through the preliminary setup, however should you ignored it, right here’s how you'll be able to temporarily safe your telephone later:
- Go to Settings app > Security.
- Tap on Nexus Imprint.
- Choose a safe display lock from the record (trend, PIN, or password).
- Decide whether or not you wish to have allow “Secure startup” (now not advisable for most of the people).
- Create a trend/PIN/password.
- Decide whether or not to turn complete notification content material on lock monitor, handiest the app it got here from, or not anything in any respect.
- Add fingerprints the use of the Nexus Imprint sensor at the again of the telephone.
- Press the sensor 6 occasions to report fingerprint knowledge.
That’s it! We suggest including further fingerprints the use of the similar index finger two times, however in a moderately other place each and every time for higher accuracy while unlocking the use of Nexus Imprint. For example, the primary time position your finger flat at the sensor for the primary fingerprint. Then, upload some other the use of the similar finger, however this time use the end or aspect of your finger to the touch the sensor. This means, regardless of the way you press your finger at the sensor, you’ll get a correct studying. Google says recorded fingerprints are encrypted and never leave the actual device, so don’t fear approximately them being uploaded to the cloud someplace.
4. Use your fingerprint to make purchases on Google Play
Android isn’t just about as worrying as iOS is on the subject of downloading loose apps. Although you wont be requested on your password while downloading loose apps and video games, you’ll most probably succeed in some degree the place you in fact need to purchase one thing. Entering passwords can also be hectic, particularly in case you have potato palms like mine. Thankfully, in Android 6.0 Marshmallow, you'll be able to now make purchases the use of Nexus Imprint. You can allow it handiest 3 simple steps:
- Open the Google Play app.
- Slide out the navigation drawer and choose Settings.
- Scroll down and test the field for Fingerprint authentication.
Now, the primary time you are making a purchase order at the Play Store it's going to nonetheless ask in your password, however the whole thing after that may be purchased the use of your fingerprint. You too can skip all that and easily choose the way to “Use fingerprint for long run purchases” while shopping for one thing. Keep in thoughts that then again you allow it, you’ll nonetheless have to go into your password the primary time, however from right here on out, it’s all fingerprints.
5. Use Smart Lock to stay telephone unlocked while at house or hooked up for your smartwatch
Even despite the fact that Nexus Imprint is extra handy than having to go into a trend/PIN/password every time you unencumber your telephone, it could nonetheless be a nuisance. For example, in case you have the telephone laying on a table and simply need to test on one thing in point of fact fast. Or most likely you simply were given house from an extended day on the place of work and don’t need to have to trouble the use of your fingerprint every time you wish to have to test in together with your town on Clash of Clans.
Because that is Android we’re speaking approximately right here, you could have different choices as smartly. Like your telephone routinely taking away the safe lock monitor once you stroll during the door of your house. You may even set it in order that it’s unlocked while it’s in your individual, or say, hooked up to a Bluetooth software like your smartwatch, wireless speaker, or automotive stereo. Should you allow the telephone in a cafe, you’ll have the piece of thoughts of understanding that it mechanically locked itself. Neat huh? Here’s the place you’ll in finding it: Settings app > Security > Smart Lock (input password/PIN/trend). From there you’ll have a couple of choices:
- Trusted units – stay your telephone unlocked while hooked up to precise units (speaker, automotive, smartwatch) by the use of Bluetooth.
- Trusted puts – stay your telephone unlocked while you arrive in particular puts (house, paintings, and so on.).
- Trusted face – telephone will mechanically unencumber while it acknowledges your face after turning the monitor on.
- Trusted voice – release the telephone the use of your voice.
6. Enable developer mode (to hurry up animations)
There’s no denying the Nexus 6P is rapid. In reality, it’s the quickest Android tool we’ve ever laid our palms on. But we will be able to do higher. You can if truth be told make the telephone really feel even zipper by way of rushing up the transition and UI animations. It’s hidden away within the Developer choices, however right here’s how you'll be able to in finding them:
- Open the Settings app.
- Scroll right down to the ground and make a selection About telephone.
- Scroll to the ground and press Build quantity 7 occasions (you’ll see a affirmation that you're now a developer), press the again button.
- Developer choices will now seem on the backside of Settings, make a selection it.
- Find window animation scale, transition animation scale, animator period scale and choose .5x for each and every.
7. Enable System UI tuner so as to add battery proportion
By now you’ve most certainly spotted how the battery icon within the standing bar doesn’t show the real battery proportion. If you’re on the lookout for slightly extra element, tucked away in Android 6.0 Marshmallow is some other hidden surroundings referred to as System UI Tuner. Why it’s hidden, no one is aware of, however Google says it’s nonetheless “experimental.” Don’t fear, we’re now not going to make use of it for far.
Just pull down the notification tray two times and lengthy press at the little Settings equipment icon for approximately 5+ seconds. It make take greater than 1 try, however whenever you allow move and pull the color again up, you should see a brand new recommended telling you that “Congrats! System UI Tuner has been brought to Settings.” Just like the ones Developer choices, you’re going to scroll right down to the ground of the Settings app the place you’ll discover a new surroundings referred to as System UI Tuner.
Once inside of, Google will alert you concerning the options being experimental, simply make a selection “Got it” and “Show embedded battery proportion. After that, the battery icon for your standing bar will display you a battery proportion. Easy peasy.
8. Enable Google Fit
Google Fit is lovely nice for monitoring common bodily task all the way through the day. It’s now not as extremely in-intensity as any other products and services, however the truth that it comes pre-put in on so much Android units and syncs your knowledge for your Google account, you’ll more than likely need to use it. The handiest factor you wish to have to do is open the app and allow it.
- Open the Google Fit app.
- Sign in together with your Google account.
- Fill out your peak, weight, gender, and set an individual health objective.
Because the app runs within the history, you wont have to fret approximately starting it every day or messing round with it an excessive amount of. Just remember to stay your telephone on you at the same time as you’re out and approximately operating errands, or right through your run. After that, you’ll obtain the occasional notification while you’re getting just about, or have reached, your day by day step/task objective.
9. Setup Android Pay to make purchases the use of your telephone
Whether you hate pulling out your pockets and swiping your bank card, otherwise you merely need a backup way of procuring things should you allow your pockets at house, Android Pay makes it simple to make purchases the use of not anything however your telephone. Like one of the most different things in this listing, you’ll first want to open the app and set all of it up.
- Open the Android Pay app for your telephone.
- Touch the + signal within the backside-proper nook.
- Touch Add a credit score or debit card.
- If you have already got associated playing cards, select one or contact Add some other card.
- Use the digital camera to seize your card information or input it manually.
The hardest phase is discovering a spot that accepts Android Pay, however bear in mind it additionally works any place faucet-to-pay or Apple Pay is widespread. Even then, now not all card issuers are supported, however you'll be able to discover a complete listing of Android Pay supported banks over here. Happy tapping!
10. Check out all of the new Marshmallow options
Some of the Nexus 6P’s highest options have been in reality presented in Android 6.0 Marshmallow. It’s Google’s up to date Android unlock and greater than anything else it polishes off a few of Lollipop’s tough edges, whilst giving customers extra keep an eye on in their apps, higher battery lifestyles, and progressed UI. We coated so much of this in our “Everything New in Android Marshmallow” publish from again in August, however in case you wish to have a refresher, right here’s one of the most larger things you should without a doubt check out:
- Google Now on Tap – Scans whole monitor to tug up related knowledge in a Google Search.
- Easy phrase variety and toolbar – Highlight textual content and a brand new reproduction/paste toolbar seems proper above it.
- Simplified quantity controls – Adjust ringer/notification quantity, media quantity (song and movies), and alarm quantity via click on the drop down arrow.
- Improved ‘Do Not Disturb’ mode – Choose among overall silence (even alarms are muted), alarms best (the whole thing however alarms are muted), and precedence most effective (can also be advantageous tuned to permit particular apps to nonetheless ring).
- Greatly progressed battery lifestyles at the same time as snoozing – With the brand new “Doze” function, apps are frozen while the telephone hasn’t been touched or moved for lengthy sessions of time, expanding standby battery lifestyles by way of days (sure, we stated days).
- App’s ask for permission to get entry to software purposes – Apps now ask permission prior to having access to things like your region, microphone, or digital camera. You may even wonderful song this a few extra by way of manually toggling those permissions at the App Info web page (Settings > Apps > choose app > Permissions).
11. Explore the Nexus 6P boards
The absolute best position for brand spanking new Nexus 6P house owners to mingle is on Android Forums. It’s the place you’ll in finding all kinds of lend a hand, guidelines, tips, give a boost to, tips, and details about your telephone than glossy new phone. You’ll additionally in finding a variety of different customers sharing their very own private reports, favourite equipment, and no matter what else pops into their head. Here are a number of the extra common threads to get you began: