How do you seek for and browse your apps? Convey up notifications or take keep an eye on? Name out for Siri? Like this!
The Home screen on iPhone and iPad is not intended to be a vacation spot — a spot to retailer widgets or spend time. It is intended to be a portal to all your apps, integrated and downloaded from the App Retailer. Whether or not you get to the ones apps by way of surfing your Home screen pages, through looking out with Highlight, through leaping directly to movements with three-D Contact, or via calling up Siri, Home screen is the place all of it starts.
Apple's 2016 tool updates — iOS 10, watchOS 3, tvOS 10, and macOS Sierra — are lately to be had as closed developer previews or as public betas for iPhone, iPad, and Mac. (Unfortunately, no public beta for the Apple Watch or tvOS this yr.) Whilst the betas include new options, additionally they include pre-release insects that may save you the traditional use of your iPhone, iPad, Apple Watch, Apple TV, or Mac, and don't seem to be meant for on a regular basis use on a number one tool. That is why we strongly suggest staying clear of the developer previews, and the use of the general public betas with warning. For those who rely on your units, stay up for the general launch q4.
- Understanding the Home screen layout
- How to get to the Home screen
- How to switch Home screens
- How to launch apps from the Home screen
- How to see widgets and quick actions with 3D Touch on the Home screen
- How to launch apps with Spotlight search
- How to quickly switch to open apps from Home screen
- How to quickly access the Today View widgets from Home screen
- How to quickly access Notification Center from the Home screen
- How to quickly access Control Center from the Home screen
- How to quickly access Siri from the Home screen
- How to quickly access 'Continuity' apps from the Home screen
Already know the way to navigate the Home screen however in search of guidelines on customization?
Working out the Home screen format
The Home screen on iPhone and iPad is simply what the identify implies: house base. It is the position from which the entirety begins. It all started merely sufficient however has won extra and extra capability through the years, despite the fact that a lot of it's been tucked away to scale back confusion. That method, if you do not want it, you by no means have to see it. If you are desirous about how you'll be able to swipe a method to get to These days View widgets and any other to get extra apps, how you'll be able to pull down Notification Middle or pull up Regulate Middle, then this is the place all of it lives.
How to get to the Home screen
You get to the Home screen by way of urgent the Home button. Chances are you'll want to release your iPhone or iPad first or, if you are in Regulate Middle, Notification Middle, or any other state, press the Home button two times as an alternative of as soon as. The main is all the time the similar, although: Home takes you Home, from any place, at any time.
If your iPhone or iPad is locked with a Passcode:
If your iPhone or iPad is locked with Touch ID, Apple's fingerprint id sensor:
If your iPhone is already unlocked, it is so simple as can also be:
Notice: If you are in Regulate Middle, Notification Middle, Siri, edit mode, or any other state, clicking the Home button as soon as will convey you out of that state and you'll be able to have to click on it a 2d time to if truth be told pass to the Home screen.
How to transfer Home monitors
Your iPhone or iPad will have multiple Home screen. That means, you'll be able to have extra apps than would have compatibility on one web page. The choice of dots to the proper of the primary Home screen presentations you what number of further Home monitors you will have. To modify between them:
- Swipe your finger from proper to left to move to the following Home web page.
- Swipe your finger from left to proper to return to the former Home web page.
Click on the Home button to move to the primary (first) Home web page.
Notice: If you do not want to swipe, you'll be able to additionally faucet the ground left nook of the screen to return a web page or the ground proper nook to pass ahead a web page. You'll be able to even faucet the tiny row of dots that point out which Home screen you are on, left aspect for again, proper aspect for ahead.
How to release apps from the Home screen
Launching an app from the Home screen could not be more uncomplicated:
How to see widgets and fast movements with 3-d Contact on the Home screen
When you have an iPhone 6s or later, you'll be able to additionally press firmly (three-D Contact) on an app icon to deliver up fast movements. All apps have fast movements, despite the fact that it is merely the usual App Retailer app shortcut that permits you to percentage the app with somebody else. Some apps have a number of fast movements, together with dynamic fast movements that update primarily based on the final individual you contacted, article you learn, display you think, and so forth. Faucet on an motion to pass without delay to that function or content material within the app.
If an app has a widget in These days View, that widget may even display up while you use 3-d Contact. Widgets don't seem to be actionable, so tapping on them does not do anything else. They are designed for info, so a look is all you will have to want.
For fundamental fast movements:
- Press firmly (three-D Contact) on the Home screen icon you wish to have to open fast movements for.
Faucet on the motion you wish to have to carry out.
Dynamic movements paintings the similar means, solely the topic of the motion will trade primarily based on recency, location, time, and different elements.
- Press firmly (3-d Contact) on the Home screen icon you wish to have to open fast movements for.
Faucet on the motion you wish to have to carry out.
Widgets will solely pop up in apps that supply them. They are the similar widgets as those to be had in Lately View, however you'll be able to get right of entry to them proper from the icon.
- Press firmly (three-D Contact) on the Home screen icon you wish to have to see the widget for.
Faucet on the widget to pass to the app.
How to temporarily transfer to open apps from the Home screen
Launching an app, going again to the Home screen, launching some other app, going again to the Home screen, re-launching the primary app … it may be tiresome. That is why your iPhone and iPad be offering a quicker method to bounce between lately used apps.
- Double click on the Home button
- Swipe to the app you wish to have to transfer to. (They are so as of ways just lately you used them.)
Faucet the app screen to transfer to it.
In case you have three-D Contact on iPhone 6s or later:
- Press firmly (3-d Contact) on the left aspect of the screen.
- Swipe all of the approach to the fitting to return to the earlier app.
- Swipe just a bit bit to the best and let pass to convey up the rapid app switcher.
- Swipe to the app you wish to have to transfer to. (They are so as of ways lately you used them.)
Faucet the app screen to transfer to it.
How to get entry to Highlight seek
Apple's integrated seek device, Highlight, can be utilized to temporarily in finding knowledge in any app that helps it. That incorporates now not solely the apps that got here with your iPhone or iPad however many apps that you simply obtain from the App Retailer as smartly. With it, you'll be able to in finding such things as contacts, emails, songs, and a lot, a lot, extra.
- Contact your finger to the Home screen (in between apps works highest).
- Swipe your finger down to pull down the Highlight seek box.
- Sort in what you are in search of.
Faucet the end result you wish to have.
Observe: Should you swipe from the highest of the screen, you'll be able to get Notification Middle, now not Highlight, so be sure you swipe down from decrease on the screen to get to seek.
How to temporarily get right of entry to the Lately View widgets from the Home screen
These days View widgets were mixed with Siri suggestions, and now you'll be able to get right of entry to them in the similar approach from far and wide, together with the Home screen.
- Move to your primary (first) Home screen.
Swipe your finger against the best edge. (i.e. swipe proper.)
How to temporarily get entry to Notification Middle from the Home screen
- Contact the bezel above the screen.
- Swipe your finger down onto the screen. (i.e. swipe down.)
As soon as you have swiped down, you'll be able to additionally swipe proper to move to Nowadays View with no need to disregard Notification Middle first. Time saver!
How to temporarily get right of entry to Keep an eye on Middle from the Home screen
Keep an eye on Middle allows you to temporarily toggle settings, regulate brightness and quantity, release movements, flip on screen sharing and record switch, and get entry to your house equipment. It is to be had all over, together with from the Home screen.
- Contact the bezel under the screen.
- Swipe your finger up onto the screen. (i.e. swipe up.)
You'll be able to then swipe between the other Keep an eye on Middle panels, or swipe backpedal to disregard it.
- How to quickly access settings and apps with Control Center
- How to use Now Playing with Control Center
- How to use Home with Control Center
How to temporarily get right of entry to Siri from the Home screen
When you've got an iPhone 6s, iPhone 6s Plus, iPhone SE, or 9.7-inch iPad Professional, you'll be able to use your voice to turn on Siri, even from a distance. (Word: Voice activation does not paintings in Low Energy Mode.)
- Say "Hiya, Siri!"
- Inform Siri what you wish to have to know or do. (e.g. "What time is it in Hong Kong?" or "Textual content Serenity 'I'm going to be past due with this information!' ")
You'll be able to additionally turn on Siri manually at any time:
- Press and grasp down the Home button.
- Inform Siri what you wish to have to know or do. (e.g. "What is the climate nowadays?" or "Strike a cord in me to transfer my automotive at 6pm.".)
Free up the Home button.
How to temporarily get right of entry to handoff apps from the Home screen
Apple permits you to "hand off" the process you are doing on one software so you'll be able to proceed it on any other. As an example, if you are the use of Safari on your Mac, you'll be able to pick out up your iPhone and iPad and proceed surfing proper the place you left off.
- Double click on the Home button or, if your software helps three-D Contact, press firmly on the left fringe of your iPhone, to deliver up the Rapid App Switcher.
Faucet the app icon on the backside left of the screen. (If there is not any app icon there, it way there is recently no advised app, and no handoff app to be had.)
How to Lock your iPhone or iPad
By way of default, your iPhone or iPad will routinely flip off the screen to save energy. You'll be able to, then again, flip off the screen manually and move into standby mode at any time. When you've got a passcode or Contact ID arrange, the screen will even lock when you flip it off.
- Click on the On/Off button on the suitable aspect (iPhone 6 or later) or height (all different iPhones, iPods, and iPads).
While you wake your iPhone or iPad again up once more, you'll be able to go back to the Lock screen.
How to flip off your iPhone or iPad
If you are now not going to be the use of your iPhone or iPad for some time, you'll be able to flip it off to save much more energy.
- Press and grasp down the On/Off button on the fitting aspect (iPhone 6 or later) or height (all different iPhones, iPods, and iPads) of your tool for 3 seconds.
- Swipe the slide to energy off affirmation slider to the fitting.
Any Home screen questions?
When you've got any hassle navigating your Home screen, or you wish to have extra lend a hand, drop your questions within the feedback under!