Why did I am getting "operation failed" and "This disk wishes to be repaired" once I attempted to partition my Mac's onerous force?
Over the weekend, I in any case had time to obtain and set up the developer beta of macOS Top Sierra. I made up our minds to partition my exhausting pressure so I may just stay the use of my Mac for paintings with out being worried that every one my apps and systems would crash beneath the brand new device.
I used to be thwarted proper from the beginning with an "Operation failed" error message whilst making an attempt to partition my arduous pressure. Sigh.
After somewhat of poking round, I after all got here up with an answer that may, with a bit of luck, paintings for someone else that comes throughout this drawback.
For reference, the mistake message for my specific factor used to be the next:
- Invalid quantity free block rely
- (It will have to be 10069792 as an alternative of 10069785)
- The quantity Macintosh HD used to be discovered corrupt and wishes to be repaired.
In case you have an error considerably other than the only above, this troubleshooting information would possibly now not clear up your drawback.
Step 1: Run First Help in Disk Application
Step one to solving a troublesome force disk is to run First Help. It is a great little function incorporated in all present Mac running techniques.
- Whilst in Disk Application, make a selection the onerous force you wish to have to run First Assist on. It will have to be referred to as "Macintosh HD." It is your inner bodily quantity.
- Click on on Run First Assist.
- Click on Accomplished when the method is whole.
Check out making a partition now. If it does not paintings, transfer on to Step 2.
Step 2: Restart Mac in Restoration Mode and Run First Assist once more
You can get an "all transparent" even if it is not. Or, you can get an error message once more telling you to run First Assist in Restoration Mode. Both approach, run First Assist once more in Restoration Mode.
At this level, it's your decision to print this web page or open it on a unique tool as a result of you'll now not be in a position to see it on the Mac you're operating in Restoration Mode.
- Restart your Mac.
Press and hang Command and R on the similar time simply prior to your Mac restarts. You'll be able to inform proper sooner than it is going to restart when your cursor arrow disappears.
Your Mac will have to load into Restoration Mode. If you do not see a black display with a white Apple Emblem, you could want to check out it once more.
- In Restoration Mode, click on on Disk Application.
- Choose the exhausting force you wish to have to run First Assist on.
- Click on on First Assist.
- Click on Completed when it's completed.
If you'll be able to't run first Help on the force — if the choice is "grayed out" or un-clickable — you could want to disable FileVault so as to run First Assist on it. If that is the case, transfer on to Step 3.
Step 3: Disable FileVault and repeat Step 2
If the choice to run First Assist on the force you are attempting to fix is grayed out, check out unlocking it first through disabling FireVault. Restart your Mac in commonplace mode to return to your display to start.
Observe: You'll want your Administrative log in credentials so as to get entry to FileVault, so make sure you have them on hand sooner than getting began.
- Click on on the Apple menu within the higher left nook of the display.
- Click on on Device Personal tastes.
- Click on on Safety & Privateness.
- Click on on the FileVault tab.
- Click on the lock within the backside left nook of the window.
- Input your admin credentials when brought about.
- Click on Free up.
- Click on Flip Off FileVault.
Click on OK when caused to ascertain that you wish to have to restart your Mac and switch off FileVault.
After your Mac restarts, the device will start un-encrypting your disk content material. It will have to take about 15 mins, however would possibly take longer if in case you have a large number of content material to un-encrypt.
As soon as you will have became off FileVault, repeat Step 2. You will have to now be in a position to choose First Help for the corrupted force.
Do you will have any questions on how to fix 'Invalid Volume free block rely' when making an attempt to partition your Mac's exhausting pressure? Put them within the feedback and I'm going to permit you to out.