How do you back up your Apple Watch? Routinely!
Apple gives computerized backup services and products for many of its gadgets at the moment, and your Apple Watch isn't any exception. This is how the Apple Watch syncs your necessary information, and the way you'll pressure it to cause a backup.
- How Apple Watch backups work
- What will my iPhone sync?
- What won't my iPhone sync?
- How often does my Apple Watch sync?
- Does my Watch backup live locally or in iCloud?
- Can Apple Watch save data even when it's not connected to iPhone?
- What is an Apple Watch backup?
- Can I move Apple Watch backups to a new iPhone?
- How to manually back up your Apple Watch
- How to restore your Apple Watch from backup
How Apple Watch backups paintings
Each time your Watch is attached your iPhone by the use of Bluetooth or Wi-Fi, it routinely syncs your newest Well being, Exercise, Job, and app information. The primary 3 bits get synced to the Well being app, the place they are both encrypted and saved in iCloud, or saved as a part of your encrypted iPhone backup. Your app information is bundled in as a part of your iPhone backup, as a result of Apple Watch apps are technically simply extensions of iPhone apps.
Be aware: In case you use unencrypted iTunes backups to back up your iPhone, you'll be able to lose out on saving any Well being information — be sure you're backing up via iCloud, an encrypted iTunes backup, or you sync your Health data via iCloud. You'll additionally back up your health data one after the other by the use of a third-party app, however it is not just about as simple of a procedure (and you'll be able to lose all your Job achievements).
As such, what you could recall to mind as a backup is truly extra of a "sync" — the Apple Watch syncs to your iPhone's database, and any Watch-specific knowledge (like watch faces and settings) are siloed into a unique slice of the backup document. This could also be why you'll't pressure a handbook Apple Watch backup in the similar manner you'll press "Back Up Now" for the iPhone's iCloud backup provider — since your Apple Watch is continuously syncing knowledge to your iPhone, you should not want to manually sync it.
What's going to my iPhone sync?
In accordance to Apple's backup support document, this is the ideas that your Apple Watch incessantly syncs to your iPhone:
- App-specific information (for integrated apps) and settings (for integrated and third-party apps). For instance, Maps, distance, and gadgets and your settings for Mail, Calendar, Shares and climate.
- App structure at the House display screen
- Clock face settings, together with your present watch face, customizations, and order
- Dock settings, together with the order and to be had apps
- Common device settings, similar to your watch face, brightness, sound, and haptic settings
- Well being and Health information, similar to historical past, achievements, Exercise and Job calibration information from your Apple Watch, and user-entered information (To back up this Well being and Health information on your iPhone itself, you want to use iOS 11's Health iCloud sync, or an encrypted iCloud or iTunes backup.)
- Notification settings
- Playlists synced to your Apple Watch
- Synced picture album (To peer which album syncs, open the Apple Watch app, faucet the My Watch tab, then faucet Footage > Synced Album.)
- Time Zone
What would possibly not my iPhone sync?
Generally, the Apple Watch would possibly not sync anything else to your iPhone that may pose a safety factor. Particularly, that incorporates the next:
- Bluetooth pairings
- Credit score or debit playing cards used for Apple Pay on your Apple Watch
- Passcode for your Apple Watch
As such, if you want to unpair and re-pair your Apple Watch — both as a troubleshooting measure, to pressure a sync, or to transfer to a brand new iPhone — you'll be able to want to re-pair your non-W1 Bluetooth equipment, re-enter your Apple Pay playing cards, and set up your passcode once more.
How frequently does my iPhone sync to my Apple Watch?
It is a identical cycle to that of services and products like iCloud Picture Library and the like — any time your gadgets are inside of vary, it feeds a gradual circulate of knowledge between the 2. Not like maximum of iCloud's services and products, on the other hand, the Apple Watch can use both Bluetooth or Wi-Fi; as such, in the event you've hiked out into the desolate tract with your watch and your iPhone, you'll nonetheless sync your Job information with out a hotspot provide (assuming the Bluetooth connection is powerful sufficient).
Does my Watch backup reside in the neighborhood on my iPhone or in iCloud?
While you to start with sync information between your Watch and iPhone, that knowledge lives in the neighborhood on your iPhone. A few of that knowledge will then sync to iCloud (for example, you probably have your Well being information saved in iCloud); the remainder of it's going to save to both iCloud or iTunes while you back up your iPhone, relying at the backup variety you use.
As such, even though you lose your iPhone, so long as you have sponsored it up not too long ago and feature get admission to to your Apple ID, you'll repair your Apple Watch with little to no lack of knowledge.
Can my Apple Watch save information even if it is not attached to my iPhone?
Yup! Whether or not you are going working sans iPhone or you have made up our minds to take a weekend tenting travel only with your Apple Watch, no matter workout and well being information you create whilst away will save in the neighborhood to your Apple Watch (up to 30 days' price of data) till you might be as soon as once more in vary of your iPhone.
So if the Apple Watch simply syncs information to iPhone, what is an Apple Watch backup?
While you sync settings information from your Apple Watch to your iPhone, it does not simply finish up within the random free-floating package deal of an iPhone backup — iOS places this information in a specially-labeled Apple Watch container. In consequence, in the event you ever have to un-pair and re-pair your Apple Watch, otherwise you improve to a brand new Apple Watch, you'll be able to be ready to use that information to repair it to its former self.
The place this differs from different backups is that you'll be able to want the unique iPhone you paired it with (or a brand new iPhone restored from your outdated iPhone's backup) if you wish to have to get admission to your Apple Watch's knowledge — you'll't simply repair immediately from iCloud. (Perhaps subsequent yr with watchOS 5.)
Can I ship my Watch backup to my pal's iPhone?
Nope: As we discussed above, your Watch backup is intrinsically tied to your iPhone and its backup, so you'll't ship your Watch's information to your pal's iPhone.
That stated, there's a manner to transfer Watch information from an outdated iPhone to a brand new one: If your new iPhone will get restored from your outdated iPhone's backup, you'll repair your watch from a backup while you re-pair it with out a drawback.
How to manually back up your Apple Watch
As discussed above, there is no "Back up" button within the Watch app to manually sync your Apple Watch, in large part since you do not want it. However if you are upgrading to a brand new Apple Watch (or switching to a brand new iPhone) and need to be sure that each and every final bit of knowledge has been synced, you'll accomplish that through un-pairing your Apple Watch when each it and your iPhone are attached. This may occasionally cause one final sync with your iPhone earlier than wiping your Apple Watch to manufacturing unit defaults.
Be aware: As a result of you'll't use your present Apple Watch whilst it is unpaired from your iPhone, we suggest ready till you've each your outdated and new iPhone (or outdated and new Apple Watch) in hand earlier than beginning this procedure.
To do that, practice our steps for unpairing your Apple Watch:
How to repair your Apple Watch from backup
As soon as you have compelled your Apple Watch to make a backup, you'll be able to need to repair it — both on your current phone, or your new iPhone. This is how to pass about it.
Nonetheless taken with Apple Watch and backups? Give us a shout you probably have some other questions and we're going to check out to resolution them.
Up to date November 2017: Up to date for watchOS 4.1, iPhone X, and Well being in iCloud.
- Backing up: The ultimate guide
- Best backup services and programs for your Mac
- Best cloud service apps for your iPhone and iPad
- How to back up your Mac
- How to back up your iPhone and iPad
- How to back up your Apple TV
- How to back up your Apple Watch
- How to restore your Mac from a backup
- How to restore your iPhone or iPad from a backup
- How to restore your Apple Watch from a backup
- How to recover your files when you don't have a backup