What's the good thing about a clean install over a repair while upgrading to a new telephone or tablet?
We've had a few other folks this week ask us approximately now not restoring from their backups while shifting from an antique iPhone or iPad to a new type. "Is it smarter?" "What knowledge am O going to lose?" "S simply need to accelerate my software!"
Well, first of all: If you are upgrading to an iPhone SE, 6s, or iPad Pro, you should not want a clean install to hurry issues up — the hardware improvements on my own will do this. But if you are nonetheless desirous about acting a clean install, learn on.
What does "clean install" imply?
When we speak about clean installs, there are sorts other folks bring to mind:
- Reinstall and repair from backup: This is on a regular basis performed on a unmarried telephone or tablet. My iPhone/iPad is sluggish, so A make an iCloud or encrypted iTunes backup, reinstall and repair iOS, then repair my backup while S get to that a part of the setup display.
- New software, no repair: This is if you find yourself shifting from an older telephone or tablet to a new iPhone or iPad. You again up the antique software, however arrange the new iPhone or iPad as a new tool.
What you'll stay and lose while putting in place your iPhone 6s as new
Lots of folks like this latter "clean install" choice for new units as it lets in them a recent get started on putting in place their apps, settings, and the like. And whilst for my part nobody on iOS wishes to try this kind of clean install for gadget well being, there are nonetheless those who like it.
Thankfully, whether or not you are doing so as a result of you've too many apps, you wish to have to reconfigure your new iPhone or iPad, or what have you ever, you will not lose an excessive amount of knowledge way to your iCloud account's syncing options.
Log in with your iCloud account while putting in place as new, and this is what you keep:
- Photos (both the ultimate 1000 or, when you've got iCloud Photo Library enabled, your whole library)
- iCloud e-mail (different bills you'll need to manually re-upload within the Settings app)
- Records of your bought apps and app knowledge—no apps will obtain mechanically, however you'll be able to move into App Store > Updates > Purchased to revive them on an app-via-app foundation.
- Some track (All if subscribed to Apple Music; in a different way, bought track can be to be had for re-obtain from the Music app)
- Safari bookmarks and passwords (if iCloud Keychain is enabled)
- iCloud Drive files
- News personal tastes
- Wallet historical past (however now not Apple Pay playing cards)
You'll lose the next, on the other hand:
- All Health knowledge (most effective saved in iCloud and encrypted iTunes backups, and you'll be able to't repair selectively)
- Photos now not subsidized as much as iCloud Photo Library or My Photo Stream
- Apps and any app knowledge now not saved in iCloud
- Messages (your documents from your antique tool)
- Music synced from iTunes
- iPhone-handiest: Your Apple Watch backups (see this note from Apple for more info)
For me, the lack of Apple Watch backups is the clincher for doing a repair over a clean install: S've constructed up months of Health and Activity knowledge, now, and would not need to lose it. That stated, you may now not personal an Apple Watch nor care approximately your Health knowledge; if this is the case, you can also but favor a clean install.
Are you making plans on restoring or doing a clean install? Let us realize within the feedback which, and why.