What is the merit of a clean install over a repair when upgrading to a new phone or tablet?
We've got had a few folks this week ask us about no longer restoring from their backups when shifting from an previous iPhone or iPad to a new style. "Is it smarter?" "What knowledge am I going to lose?" "I simply need to accelerate my software!"
Smartly, first off: In case you are upgrading to a new iPhone or iPad, you should not want a clean install to hurry issues up — the upgrades by myself will do this. However if you are nonetheless fascinated by appearing a clean install, learn on.
What does "clean install" imply?
Once we discuss clean installs, there are two types folks suppose of:
- Reinstall and restore from backup: That is generally finished on a unmarried phone or tablet. If your iPhone or iPad is sluggish, you'll make an iCloud (mechanically encrypted) or encrypted iTunes backup, reinstall and repair iOS, then repair from the backup whilst you get to that phase of the setup display.
- New software, no repair: You again up the previous software however arrange the new iPhone or iPad as a new software. You'll be able to piecemeal set up of apps and content material, however you'll need to check in and redo all your settings.
What you'll stay and lose when putting in your iPhone as new
Rather a lot of folks like this latter "clean install" possibility for new gadgets as it permits them a recent get started on putting in their apps, settings, and the like. And whilst for my part, nobody on iOS wishes to try this kind of clean install for device well being, there are nonetheless those who like it.
Fortunately, whether or not you are doing so as a result of you have got too many apps, you need to reconfigure your new iPhone or iPad, or what have you ever, you will not lose an excessive amount of data because of your iCloud account's syncing options.
Log in with your iCloud account when putting in as new, and this is what you keep:
- Pictures (both the final 1000 or, when you've got iCloud Photograph Library enabled, your whole library)
- iCloud e-mail (different accounts you'll need to manually re-add within the Settings app)
- Information of your bought apps and app knowledge—no apps will obtain mechanically, however you'll move into App Retailer > Updates > Bought to revive them on an app-by-app foundation.
- Some track (All if subscribed to Apple Song; differently, bought track shall be to be had for re-download from the Song app)
- Safari bookmarks and passwords (if iCloud Keychain is enabled)
- iCloud Force paperwork
- Information personal tastes
- Pockets historical past (however no longer Apple Pay playing cards)
You'll lose the next, then again:
- All Well being knowledge (solely saved in iCloud and encrypted iTunes backups, and you'll't repair selectively)
- Pictures no longer subsidized as much as iCloud Photograph Library or My Photograph Circulate
- Apps and any app knowledge no longer saved in iCloud
- Messages (this adjustments in iOS 11, however you'll need to install from a backup at least one time in iOS 11 ahead of Messages are saved in iCloud)
- Song synced from iTunes
- iPhone-only: Your Apple Watch backups (see this note from Apple for more info)
For me, the loss of Apple Watch backups is the clincher for doing a repair over a clean install: I have constructed up months of Well being and Process knowledge, now, and would not need to lose it. That mentioned, it's possible you'll no longer personal an Apple Watch nor care about your Well being knowledge; if this is the case, you might but choose a clean install.
Are you making plans on restoring or doing a clean install? Tell us within the feedback which, and why.