Android Wear 2.0, the main update for Google’s wearable OS that used to be unveiled at Google I/O this previous Would possibly, formally were given driven again to “early 2017” this morning. When first introduced, Google claimed that Android Wear 2.0 would release q4, however since Google I/O, we actually haven’t heard a lot for once we will have to be expecting to see it rollout. Whilst the scoop of it being driven again is for sure a downer, there's a silver lining.
Introduced this morning, Android Wear 2.0 will function get right of entry to to a make a selection portion of Google Play, catered in particular to smartwatch programs. With this, customers can browse and obtain apps without delay from their smartwatch, with no need to browse from a desktop or cellular phone.
Google took this time to element the “coolest” function of Google Play on Android Wear.
If customers need an app on their watch however now not on their phone, they may be able to set up solely the watch app. Actually, in Android Wear 2.0, phone apps are now not important. You'll be able to now construct and submit watch-only apps for customers to uncover on Google Play.
Along the extend, Google has revealed the 3rd Developer Preview for Android Wear 2.0, downloadable right now for any events.
Developer Preview 3 options the next adjustments.
- Headaches enhancements: Beginning with Developer Preview 3, watch face developers will want to request RECEIVE_COMPLICATION_DATA permission ahead of the watch face can obtain complication knowledge. We now have added
ComplicationHelperActivityto make this more uncomplicated. As well as, watch face developers can now set default headaches, together with a number of device knowledge headaches which don't require particular permission (e.g. battery degree and step rely), in addition to knowledge suppliers that experience whitelisted the watch face.
- New WearableRecyclerView: This new UI element is helping developers show and manipulate vertical lists of things whilst optimizing for spherical presentations.
- Inline Motion for Notifications: A brand new API makes it simple to take motion on a notification proper from the movement. Builders can specify which motion is displayed inline on the backside of the notification by way of calling
- Sensible Answer: Android Wear now generates Sensible Answer responses for
MessagingStylenotifications. Sensible Answer responses are generated via a completely on-watch device studying type the use of the context supplied by way of the
MessagingStylenotification, and no knowledge is uploaded to the cloud to generate the responses.
- And a lot more: Examine the entire record of adjustments within the Android Wear developer preview unencumber notes.
Whilst the “fall” release timeline used to be fairly obscure, “early 2017” turns out much more obscure. With that stated, it’s no wonder firms like Moto and LG aren’t launching new Android Wear devices, and Huawei reportedly ditched Android Wear completely.